Home / Retail Stores

Protecting your retail store

Retail stores have many moving parts. There is customer traffic. Employees are working in tight aisles stacking merchandise, cleaning spills, or helping customers. Partners and suppliers are coming and going. Parking lots are filling up and lines for the checkout counter can extend around corners. Do you have the protection you need?

Retail stores should consider a few types of insurance. First, if you have employees, and to comply with state laws, you need Workers Compensation insurance. You need protection for your space (whether leased or owned), your property and inventory. You need coverage in the event of an accident and – worst case – you need to be protected when claims of negligence are made by customers or employees. To save time and money, you can combine nearly all the retail business insurance you need into a single Business Owner’s Policy (BOP).

Need more information? Speak with one of our insurance experts to find the right coverage for your business.

The policies you need

General Liability
You’re covered in case of customer lawsuits, such as “slip and fall” cases.
Learn more.

Commercial Property
This policy covers your business for many kinds of property damage.
Learn more.

Workers’ Compensation
Covers you and your employees in the case of an employee injury.
Learn more.

The benefits of a Business Owner's Policy

A Business Owner’s Policy (BOP) is a packaged insurance policy that contains all of the essentials most retail store owners need. A BOP combines the two primary commercial coverage types – General Liability and Property Insurance – into one, affordable policy. This packaged policy covers the widest range of risks that the average business owner faces: protection from lawsuits, damage to their business space and property loss.

There are also many add-ons that can be included in a Business Owner’s Policy to protect the unique needs and risks inherent in any small business. For example, Business Interruption, a coverage that pays an insured if business operations are suspended due to a loss, is included in most BOPs.

Small business insurance for retail stores

Additional coverages we recommend

Business Interruption
Coverage for lost income if a business must close temporarily.
Learn more.

Dependent Property
Coverage for your income if a business or property you rely on closes.
Learn more.

Employment Practices Liability
Coverage for lawsuits by your employees against the company.
Learn more.

Connect Workers' Comp to your payroll and start
Paying As You Go.